A hodgepodge
- Observation: ever since I started cutting my hair short, people tend to guess that I'm younger.
Back in high school and through soph year of college, I parted my hair from one side to the other. I regularly was mistaken for late twenties and early thirties with the long-ish hair and part. Incidentally, my hairstyle has been the source of much mirth among my friends over the past almost-decade - when I had the part, people would bug me to change my hair, and I'd reply in all earnestness, "I did change it... the part's on the other side today."
I ended up cropping it to the current style and length midway through college because, when playing basketball, I found that having a part was distracting when running laterally (like when you're playing defense) because if you run in the opposite direction of the part, the airflow will push your hair up unless you have a prodigious amount of gel and/or sweat weighing it down. Yes, believe it or not, basketball was the impetus for my style change. Anyhow, I originally tried for the "Clooney on ER" short and straight look, but eventually opted to comb the front up, which is what I have today. Nowadays people usually guess my age correctly. My old piano teacher tells me I look younger now than I did in high school.
Anyway, I got a haircut last Saturday that oughta last me until December sometime.
- Stomach-wrenching: seeing the replay of the sack on NFL QB Steve Beuerlein that left his right pinky broken and jutting out at a 90 degree angle from where it should be pointing. Gruesome. I had to avert my eyes when it happened. As someone who has dislocated both pinky fingers, and who has broken bones before, I could sorta imagine what he was going through looking at his own body part pointing in such an abnormal direction.
Oh BTW, best wishes to Sam H from the youth group for a quick-as-possible recovery from his broken thumb.
- Breathtaking: went to the Palo Alto Philharmonic symphony last Sat night, where the featured violin soloist was my old piano teacher's daughter. She just finished undergrad at the Peabody and is now studying musical performance at USC, so I guess this was sorta like returning to her 'hood before she goes out and makes it big in the world of classical music.
I've found that I tend to prefer more uptempo and nonstandard classical music, so I was pleasantly surprised to see that the selection for the evening was a 5-part Spanish symphony, with lots of uptempo minor keys and lively Mediterranean flavor. While I thoroughly enjoyed the overall mostly uptempo symphony, it was during the "slow" 4th part where a single note collectively took the breath out of the entire audience. The last note was repeated 3 times, with the final stroke so hauntingly soft, longing, and vulnerable that I involuntarily felt my heart flip. Never felt that before. Even though you're not supposed to applaud between parts of a symphony, I think everyone did.
Wonderful performance.
- More music: Here's an interesting article about "earworms", or the melodies/jingles that get stuck in your head (like "DANGER ZONE!" from my previous posts). Interestingly, there appears to be a connection between frequency of earworms and a person's level of neurosis. I get songs stuck in my head all the time. This explains much.
- Why don't we have this in America? How cool would it to be say, "Okay honey, I'm gonna go hang out at the Maennergarten. Have fun shopping!"
- Remember that guy last year who got stuck under a boulder while hiking, and sawed off his own arm with a dull Swiss army knife? I think this guy could give him a run for his money. Dude tackled a 660-lb shark with his bare hands, pulled it onto land, and stabbed it to death. I mean, like, wow.
Weekend's here! And the basketball season is upon us!
- Observation: ever since I started cutting my hair short, people tend to guess that I'm younger.
Back in high school and through soph year of college, I parted my hair from one side to the other. I regularly was mistaken for late twenties and early thirties with the long-ish hair and part. Incidentally, my hairstyle has been the source of much mirth among my friends over the past almost-decade - when I had the part, people would bug me to change my hair, and I'd reply in all earnestness, "I did change it... the part's on the other side today."
I ended up cropping it to the current style and length midway through college because, when playing basketball, I found that having a part was distracting when running laterally (like when you're playing defense) because if you run in the opposite direction of the part, the airflow will push your hair up unless you have a prodigious amount of gel and/or sweat weighing it down. Yes, believe it or not, basketball was the impetus for my style change. Anyhow, I originally tried for the "Clooney on ER" short and straight look, but eventually opted to comb the front up, which is what I have today. Nowadays people usually guess my age correctly. My old piano teacher tells me I look younger now than I did in high school.
Anyway, I got a haircut last Saturday that oughta last me until December sometime.
- Stomach-wrenching: seeing the replay of the sack on NFL QB Steve Beuerlein that left his right pinky broken and jutting out at a 90 degree angle from where it should be pointing. Gruesome. I had to avert my eyes when it happened. As someone who has dislocated both pinky fingers, and who has broken bones before, I could sorta imagine what he was going through looking at his own body part pointing in such an abnormal direction.
Oh BTW, best wishes to Sam H from the youth group for a quick-as-possible recovery from his broken thumb.
- Breathtaking: went to the Palo Alto Philharmonic symphony last Sat night, where the featured violin soloist was my old piano teacher's daughter. She just finished undergrad at the Peabody and is now studying musical performance at USC, so I guess this was sorta like returning to her 'hood before she goes out and makes it big in the world of classical music.
I've found that I tend to prefer more uptempo and nonstandard classical music, so I was pleasantly surprised to see that the selection for the evening was a 5-part Spanish symphony, with lots of uptempo minor keys and lively Mediterranean flavor. While I thoroughly enjoyed the overall mostly uptempo symphony, it was during the "slow" 4th part where a single note collectively took the breath out of the entire audience. The last note was repeated 3 times, with the final stroke so hauntingly soft, longing, and vulnerable that I involuntarily felt my heart flip. Never felt that before. Even though you're not supposed to applaud between parts of a symphony, I think everyone did.
Wonderful performance.
- More music: Here's an interesting article about "earworms", or the melodies/jingles that get stuck in your head (like "DANGER ZONE!" from my previous posts). Interestingly, there appears to be a connection between frequency of earworms and a person's level of neurosis. I get songs stuck in my head all the time. This explains much.
- Why don't we have this in America? How cool would it to be say, "Okay honey, I'm gonna go hang out at the Maennergarten. Have fun shopping!"
- Remember that guy last year who got stuck under a boulder while hiking, and sawed off his own arm with a dull Swiss army knife? I think this guy could give him a run for his money. Dude tackled a 660-lb shark with his bare hands, pulled it onto land, and stabbed it to death. I mean, like, wow.
Weekend's here! And the basketball season is upon us!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home