Barbershop dilemma
Well, not going to have time to write anything super meaningful this week (New York City, here I come!), but I did want to throw out a quasi-quandary that I'm in and ask for ideas.
My family has been going to the same barbershop ever since my bro and I were in high school. It's a bunch of nice Chinese ladies who basically serve the Asian community in Cupertino. They don't speak a whole lot of English, but they typically do a pretty good job with the Asian fade haircut.
Up until late last year, I never got to the point where I requested one of the four barbers there over any of the others - I'd just walk in and go with whoever was free. However, last year, one of the barbers seemed to "get it" in terms of the cut I liked, and I had her cut my hair on a couple of consecutive occasions.
However, I found out in March that "my" barber had left that shop (I didn't think to ask where she had gone to) and there was a new person in place. To make matters worse, the new person cut my hair on that visit, and it wasn't very good - unevenly faded - and when I asked if she could make the cut shorter, she seemed to be rather huffy and impatient - didn't even let me check out my hair in the mirror after finishing the second time around. I only found out about the unevenness when I went home and did a closer inspection.
So, it's about the time to get another haircut, but I'm kind of hesitant in going back. I currently don't have a preference for a particular barber, but I do know that I don't want to get the same one I had last time. Here's the question - how do I discreetly and politely manage to get one of the other barbers (any of the other barbers) without making it obvious that I'm singling out the one that I don't like?
On another note, should I attempt to seek out my old barber if she's still in the business? Like good mechanics, good barbers are hard to find.
Well, not going to have time to write anything super meaningful this week (New York City, here I come!), but I did want to throw out a quasi-quandary that I'm in and ask for ideas.
My family has been going to the same barbershop ever since my bro and I were in high school. It's a bunch of nice Chinese ladies who basically serve the Asian community in Cupertino. They don't speak a whole lot of English, but they typically do a pretty good job with the Asian fade haircut.
Up until late last year, I never got to the point where I requested one of the four barbers there over any of the others - I'd just walk in and go with whoever was free. However, last year, one of the barbers seemed to "get it" in terms of the cut I liked, and I had her cut my hair on a couple of consecutive occasions.
However, I found out in March that "my" barber had left that shop (I didn't think to ask where she had gone to) and there was a new person in place. To make matters worse, the new person cut my hair on that visit, and it wasn't very good - unevenly faded - and when I asked if she could make the cut shorter, she seemed to be rather huffy and impatient - didn't even let me check out my hair in the mirror after finishing the second time around. I only found out about the unevenness when I went home and did a closer inspection.
So, it's about the time to get another haircut, but I'm kind of hesitant in going back. I currently don't have a preference for a particular barber, but I do know that I don't want to get the same one I had last time. Here's the question - how do I discreetly and politely manage to get one of the other barbers (any of the other barbers) without making it obvious that I'm singling out the one that I don't like?
On another note, should I attempt to seek out my old barber if she's still in the business? Like good mechanics, good barbers are hard to find.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home