Thursday, September 11, 2003

A Tribute

The last time that I can remember shedding tears was a little under 2 years ago - September 12, 2001. It was in the aftermath of the NYC/Washington tragedies, and the entire nation was still reeling in shock. Things would never be the same again for the average American - things like "terror alerts" would become part of our daily news reading, the presence of armed guards at large bridges would loom over every crossing, and those working in high-rises would flinch when they heard the sound of a low-flying airplane.

In fall 2001, viewing images live from New York City showing burned bodies jumping out of high-story windows, the cloud of soot that enveloped blocks, piles of rubble, emergency workers digging frantically for survivors... it was surreal for me because in summer 2000, I had spent 2 months in New York City with Campus Crusade for Christ. We were partnering with various churches and inner-city ministries, working with the poor in food kitchens, rehab clinics, and vacation Bible schools. Despite having lived in California for two-thirds of my life, I felt something of a connection to the city where God had so radically changed my perceptions of the poor, the value of human life, and the enormous cultural diversity there is out there... so seeing a part of it in ruins and thousands of people in shock was a pretty trying time for me. While there, I don't believe I visited the World Trade Center, but certainly spent time in that area of Manhattan. Watching TV, I could almost imagine that some of the faces on the screen were people that I had seen during my summer.

I don't know why tragedies happen, or why so many people had to lose their lives and so many more would be profoundly scarred physically and mentally for the rest of theirs. I don't know what kind of evil could possess men to inflict this level of harm. What I do know is that on 9/12/2001, in the aftermath, I witnessed one of the most moving and beautiful scenes of my short lifetime.

Like many other people, I was watching CNN at home. The network had moved on from showing Ground Zero exclusively, and was now roving around the streets of New York as people milled about. One camera happened upon a street corner in what appeared to be either Brooklyn or Queens, where a crowd had congregated seeking mutual support. New York City is perhaps the most racially and culturally diverse metropolis in the world, and this was exemplified by the crowd that was gathering - blacks, whites, Asians, Latinos, Jews, they were all there. A group of African-American women from the local church stood up on a table and began leading everyone in a few patriotic songs - God Bless America, The Star-Spangled Banner, etc. I found myself singing along with the crowd, with a huge sense of respect growing for their resilience and spirit.

They then began singing "Amazing Grace", and that was when I began to lose it. Everyone knew the words to the first verse, and everyone sang along. It was an amazing picture of unity, love, and courage. One elderly white woman began to break down, and was immediately supported by the crowd of people surrounding her, caring for her. As the first verse wound down, someone requested to sing it again, and so they just sang it over and over again - people of all backgrounds, united by a common tragedy. I distinctly remember wiping the tears off my face, trying to maintain some pretense of fake masculinity, then just abandoned it. I was moved beyond words.

Why was I so touched? I believe it was because I saw, on that TV, a beautiful example of hope.

Hope that there was some sanity left in an insane world.

Hope that even in a city commonly associated with cold materialism, people will still lay everything else down to help their fellow man in his time of need.

Hope in the belief that you can still find beauty amidst the darkest times and the darkest situations.

There is always hope.

We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. - Hebrews 6:19
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. - Hebrews 10:23
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies. - The Shawshank Redemption

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home