Ramblings
And now for another glimpse into the life of this exercise-deprived, tired-of-restaurant-food-for-dinner, sporting-an-unhealthy-monitor-tan, God-fearing Giants fan...
- Last night I left the office at 9:45 pm. This was the first time in perhaps 2 weeks where I left before 10 pm, excluding Saturdays.
- Honey mustard is awesome. It makes every sandwich taste better... unless the sandwich has guacamole in it, in which case it just makes a horrid squishy mess. Props to Quizno's for providing complimentary honey mustard with their sandwiches.
- The buzz is building. Cal P, standup comic, is seeing his career take off before our very internet eyes. See Cal's, Danny's, Karen's, and 5824's blogs for recounts of the debut of this up-and-coming funnyman. Video will be up on the web at some point, but otherwise you'll just have to visit club 5824 to view the live account. Oh, check the 5824 blog for accounts of his work around the house as well. Humor and handiness. Ladies, he's available... as far as I know.
- Yesterday at lunchtime, my coworkers and I were discussing feats of video game superiority from our pasts. Sometimes you just hit the zone - enemies are being mowed down, opponents knocked under your feet, teammates soaring to heights they've never soared to before. My proudest video gaming moment was playing the original 8-bit Nintendo game Contra and getting from the first level to the last level on one life. I'm so proud of it, I italicized the accomplishment. The key is to get the rapid-fire and spreader weapon powerups on the first level, and be very careful not to pick up any other weapons as the all-powerful spreader would then get replaced. Up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-B-A forever.
- Other "zone" moments from my lifetime off the top of my head:
1) In a 5-on-5 game to 12 at the RSF my senior year at Cal, I think I blocked somewhere between 8 and 10 shots. That was fun.
2) I have yet to be beaten at air hockey. Not to say I've played much, but I think I'm sitting on something like a 15-0 lifetime record. To hold onto this part of my ego, I'll just say I've retired from air hockey and am not taking any more challengers. Heheh.
- Last weekend, I played Counterstrike for the first time. Thanks to Joseph H, who paid for 6 computers for 2 hours at the Castro St. Tapioca Express. I wasn't originally planning to play, but got roped in when another player stepped down in the middle because of dizziness. Was mostly cannon fodder for the majority of the game, but towards the end we played the "free-for-all" weapons level and I managed to have a decent showing, primarily using the machine gun.
- Movies. Saw Breakfast at Tiffany's and About Schmidt this past weekend. See Andrew's blog for an amusing summary of the first experience. My first Hepburn movie... I'm still not quite sure what the overall appeal of the movie was.
About Schmidt felt long, but was a good film. It chronicles the journey of self-discovery a retiring 66-year old Nebraskan man goes on when he realizes that he's not satisfied with the life he's lived. I'll admit, it was somewhat disconcerting to see Jack Nicholson playing such an ordinary person, and playing it well. I kept expecting him to go crazy.
- Recently purchased the Experiencing God workbook by Blackaby. I typically don't like workbooks, but I've heard good things about this one. My times in the Word have been a bit aimless recently, since I finished the Bible again, so hopefully this'll give me some direction.
- Borrowed Fallen by Evanescence this week from Andrew N. While it sorta bugs me that the guitarist appears to re-use the same chord sequences and riffs/fills in multiple songs, it's a pretty solid CD overall. I particularly like "My Immortal", as Amy Lee's vocals sound almost like they're coming from a Broadway musical.
- Going to see Switchfoot in concert next Saturday (9/27) in SF with a buncha folks. I'm already looking forward to it.
- Two of my top three favorite bands, Jars of Clay and Caedmon's Call (Switchfoot is the other), will be showing up at Castro Valley in November. I am so there.
- Things are still quite busy at work, as we're pushing to our release. Check out this link to see what's up.
- Go Giants!
- Only a month and a half till the NBA is back!
And now for another glimpse into the life of this exercise-deprived, tired-of-restaurant-food-for-dinner, sporting-an-unhealthy-monitor-tan, God-fearing Giants fan...
- Last night I left the office at 9:45 pm. This was the first time in perhaps 2 weeks where I left before 10 pm, excluding Saturdays.
- Honey mustard is awesome. It makes every sandwich taste better... unless the sandwich has guacamole in it, in which case it just makes a horrid squishy mess. Props to Quizno's for providing complimentary honey mustard with their sandwiches.
- The buzz is building. Cal P, standup comic, is seeing his career take off before our very internet eyes. See Cal's, Danny's, Karen's, and 5824's blogs for recounts of the debut of this up-and-coming funnyman. Video will be up on the web at some point, but otherwise you'll just have to visit club 5824 to view the live account. Oh, check the 5824 blog for accounts of his work around the house as well. Humor and handiness. Ladies, he's available... as far as I know.
- Yesterday at lunchtime, my coworkers and I were discussing feats of video game superiority from our pasts. Sometimes you just hit the zone - enemies are being mowed down, opponents knocked under your feet, teammates soaring to heights they've never soared to before. My proudest video gaming moment was playing the original 8-bit Nintendo game Contra and getting from the first level to the last level on one life. I'm so proud of it, I italicized the accomplishment. The key is to get the rapid-fire and spreader weapon powerups on the first level, and be very careful not to pick up any other weapons as the all-powerful spreader would then get replaced. Up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-B-A forever.
- Other "zone" moments from my lifetime off the top of my head:
1) In a 5-on-5 game to 12 at the RSF my senior year at Cal, I think I blocked somewhere between 8 and 10 shots. That was fun.
2) I have yet to be beaten at air hockey. Not to say I've played much, but I think I'm sitting on something like a 15-0 lifetime record. To hold onto this part of my ego, I'll just say I've retired from air hockey and am not taking any more challengers. Heheh.
- Last weekend, I played Counterstrike for the first time. Thanks to Joseph H, who paid for 6 computers for 2 hours at the Castro St. Tapioca Express. I wasn't originally planning to play, but got roped in when another player stepped down in the middle because of dizziness. Was mostly cannon fodder for the majority of the game, but towards the end we played the "free-for-all" weapons level and I managed to have a decent showing, primarily using the machine gun.
- Movies. Saw Breakfast at Tiffany's and About Schmidt this past weekend. See Andrew's blog for an amusing summary of the first experience. My first Hepburn movie... I'm still not quite sure what the overall appeal of the movie was.
About Schmidt felt long, but was a good film. It chronicles the journey of self-discovery a retiring 66-year old Nebraskan man goes on when he realizes that he's not satisfied with the life he's lived. I'll admit, it was somewhat disconcerting to see Jack Nicholson playing such an ordinary person, and playing it well. I kept expecting him to go crazy.
- Recently purchased the Experiencing God workbook by Blackaby. I typically don't like workbooks, but I've heard good things about this one. My times in the Word have been a bit aimless recently, since I finished the Bible again, so hopefully this'll give me some direction.
- Borrowed Fallen by Evanescence this week from Andrew N. While it sorta bugs me that the guitarist appears to re-use the same chord sequences and riffs/fills in multiple songs, it's a pretty solid CD overall. I particularly like "My Immortal", as Amy Lee's vocals sound almost like they're coming from a Broadway musical.
- Going to see Switchfoot in concert next Saturday (9/27) in SF with a buncha folks. I'm already looking forward to it.
- Two of my top three favorite bands, Jars of Clay and Caedmon's Call (Switchfoot is the other), will be showing up at Castro Valley in November. I am so there.
- Things are still quite busy at work, as we're pushing to our release. Check out this link to see what's up.
- Go Giants!
- Only a month and a half till the NBA is back!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home